EE 515 wk1

EE 515 wk1 - EE 515/415 MEMS Wk 1: Overview David T. Shaw...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–17. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
EE 515/415 MEMS Wk 1: Overview David T. Shaw EE Fall 2009
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Outline Introduction From micro to nano Applications areas
Background image of page 2
MEMS Introduction
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Total 2008 market ~ $15B which is very small in comparison the IC market (~$150 B) • Is an enabling technology; not a disruptive technology.
Background image of page 4
Smart NEMS/IC/communication Systems Vision of the Future
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Background image of page 6
Objectives To gain an understanding of standard microfabrication techniques and the issues surrounding them. To know the major components, and applications of MEMS To demonstrate an understanding of the fundamental principles behind the operation of MEMS To understand the unique requirements, environments, and applications of MEMS. To apply MEMS in wireless communication and energy smart systems. To make the study of MEMS so enjoyable that you will not complain about the late hours of the class due to scheduling problems
Background image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Course Requirements & Grading Scheme homeworks: 30% - late homeworks lose 10% credit Homeworks must be prepared according to IEEE format (see course documents). All homeworks and reports are submitted to UBlearns digital dropbox. Tests –all tests are open-book (computer) Two hourly tests: a total of 40% @20% There will be an optional hourly final: You should take it if you miss any one of the two hourly You are not satisfy with one of the tests Class project: 30% - Report 20%, presentation 10% Two students a team Reports: page limit: 6 single-space pages, type size:12 PowerPoint Presentation: 20 min, 18 ppt max Cooperative discussions are encouraged, but academic honesty (see course documents) will be strictly enforced (all homework and class project reports will be checked by university software to prevent plagiarism.
Background image of page 8
MEMS includes everything microfabricated that isn’t purely electronic or opto-electronic. Applications include: mechanical sensors, optical sensors, chemical sensors, projection displays, Fiber switches, DNA amplification, medical diagnostics, material testing, lab-on-a-chip, microrobots, ………
Background image of page 9

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
A fast-moving research field Critically important to be familiar with the scientific literature Know how to find information and download scientific papers from the digital library The course will rely heavily on finding and learning of new information from technical journals.
Background image of page 10
Literature Search UB library web of Scince (science citation index) full search General search topics ( mems and sensor* and optic*), authors ( Doe je and Smith d*) Cited ref search authors (petersen ke), year (1983) Google scholar
Background image of page 11

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Background image of page 12
Background image of page 13

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Background image of page 14
Background image of page 15

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
What is MEMS? Emerging technology, combining many disciplines not a disruptive technology yet The smallest commercially produced “machines”.
Background image of page 16
Image of page 17
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 02/19/2011 for the course EE 515 taught by Professor Dr.shaw during the Fall '10 term at SUNY Buffalo.

Page1 / 122

EE 515 wk1 - EE 515/415 MEMS Wk 1: Overview David T. Shaw...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 17. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online