Final Lab Report Comprehensive

Final Lab Report Comprehensive - Raymond C. Hupp Jr....

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–4. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Raymond C. Hupp Jr. R00853557 December 6 th , 2010 Writing Comprehensive Lab Report PETR 3402 – 123 TA – 4 Fall 2010
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY In the following experiment entitled “Fluid Saturation”, the students had to clean the core plug for the conventional core analysis by removing the saturated fluids via the solvent Toluene. In the second half of the experiment, we had to use the Dean-Stark distillation technique to determine the amount of saturated fluids in the saturated core. Next we had to weigh the core plug that was saturated in brine and oil. After that, we then placed the core sample into the Soxhlet Extractor and the extractor collected any of the condensed brine and oil. You then use that information, as well as the densities of Toluene, the brine, and the oil, to determine the overall porosity of the core sample in which we were given. Then, we weighed the core sample after it was immersed in Toluene and the water and brine had been extracted. Finally, my group and I placed our saturated core into an oven for 24 hours to fully dry. After that, we took out the core and weighed it; this value was it’s dry weight. Once we had all of this data, we could then complete the rest of the calculations on our data sheet. In the following experiment entitled “Porosity”, the students had to calculate the effective porosity of our given core sample. To do so, we had to use a Vernier Caliper, Electronic Balance, & a Helium Porosimeter. Each group was given a lab set number and we had to record this number on our data sheet. The number that we were given corresponds to a certain billet’s marked A,B,C,D and E. Each billet was a different size and shape. At first, we measured the core sample’s length and diameters via a Vernier Caliper. We then took three reading of the length and averaged them, and then we did five readings of the diameter and averaged those. After all of that, we used setup number four and our first objective was to find the original and final pressure of just the billet that we were assigned. The next step was to place our given core in place of several billets so that the billets and core would be flush with the top of the contraption. Then, we did the - i -
Background image of page 2
first part and found the original pressure and the final pressure. Finally, we put our core in place of two billets and repeated the experiment and wrote down our pressure for this facet of the experiment. We then compared these two initial and final pressures to the bulk volume from experiment three and we calculated various porosities. In the following experiment entitled “Gas Permeability”, our objective was the determine the permeability of our given core sample by injecting Nitrogen throughout the core. At first, we injected several different amounts of pressure such as 20 psig, 30 psig, etc. and controlled how much pressure was used via a Gas Permeameter. Our first step in this experiment was to measure the overall temperature and pressure of the room in
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 4
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 37

Final Lab Report Comprehensive - Raymond C. Hupp Jr....

This preview shows document pages 1 - 4. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online