Homework 1-Solutions copy

Homework 1-Solutions copy - HOMEWORK 1 SOLUTIONS (1) Let A...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: HOMEWORK 1 SOLUTIONS (1) Let A = { 3 , 4 , 5 } ,B = { 3 , 4 } ,C = { 4 } . Find D = A 4 B 4 C . Solution: Recall from class that A 4 B = ( A \ B ) ∪ ( B \ A ). That is, A 4 B contains all elements that lie in A but not in B and all elements that lie in B but not in A . Note that we also have A 4 B = ( A ∪ B ) \ ( A ∩ B ). Thus ( A 4 B ) 4 C = h ( A 4 B ) \ C i ∪ h C \ ( A 4 B ) i = h ( A \ B ) ∪ ( B \ A ) \ C i ∪ h C \ ( A ∪ B ) \ ( A ∩ B ) i = A \ ( B ∪ C ) ∪ B \ ( A ∪ C ) ∪ C \ ( A ∪ B ) ∪ C ∩ A ∩ B . On the other hand A 4 ( B 4 C ) = h A \ ( B 4 C ) i ∪ h ( B 4 C ) \ A i = h A \ ( B ∪ C ) \ ( B ∩ C ) i ∪ h ( B \ C ) ∪ ( C \ B ) \ A i = A \ ( B ∪ C ) ∪ A ∩ B ∩ C ∪ B \ ( C ∪ A ) ∪ C \ ( B ∪ A ) . A close inspection shows that the last term in both of the above equations are the same. (2) Suppose 70% of Californians like cheese, 80% like apples and 10% like neither. What percentage of Californians like both cheese and apples? Solution: First let’s ask a different question. How many Californians like apples or like cheese? If we add the percentages together we get 70%+80% = 150%. This is clearly an over-counting. The problem is that we have counted those who like both apples and cheese twice. Since 10% of Californians like neither apples nor cheese, we know that 90% either like apples or like cheese (including those who like both). Hence, the difference between the percentages, 150%...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 02/22/2011 for the course MATH 137 taught by Professor Adeboye during the Spring '11 term at UCSB.

Page1 / 4

Homework 1-Solutions copy - HOMEWORK 1 SOLUTIONS (1) Let A...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online