This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: Triggers of Change Triggers of Change
Management 413 Session 3 1 8 General Triggers
• • • • • • • •
Imposed Awareness of pain Recurring problems Strengths Environmental Crises Benchmarking Dream of vision
2 Recurring Problems
• • • • •
Waste Turnover Customer complaints Grievances Excessive overlaps, delays, and errors 3 Strengths: When it ain’t broke, improve it
• Look at strengths: Can these be used to create something even better? • Expect changes that will affect current assets • Develop flexibility for adapting to possible changes • “Appreciative inquiry: (Cooperrider)used to leverage changes in related areas
• • • •
Reorganizations Customer or client changing need Outsourcing or privatization General turbulence: economic, political, and social 5 Steps to Orchestrate Change
• Set up crossfunctional teams • Diagnose problems and interrelationships • • • • to other problems Collect and analyze data Develop problem statement and open it to dialogue Develop range of strategies as solutions Select most feasible and pilot test
6 Cross Functional Teams as Initial Step
• • •
Identify champions Examine possible sources of support an commitment (also financial and inkind donations) Identify those affected by change and invite participation
– – – First level of change Second level of change Teriary level(s) of change 7 Quantitative and Qualitative Data Collection and Analysis
• Quantitative: objective measures
– Turnover rates – Downtime – Survey of attitudes, beliefs, and feelings – Observe operations – Arrange focus groups – Develop case studies
8 • Qualitative Implementation Strategies
• • • • •
Select most feasible intervention Pilot test Set up feedback loops Implement on broader scale Note where conditions require adaptation ad modify to suit local needs and interests 9 ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 02/21/2011 for the course MNGT 413 taught by Professor Staff during the Fall '09 term at George Mason.
- Fall '09