Biol 104, Dr. Espinoza, S10
Study Sheet for Chapter 27
Reproduction in Plants
Modified with permission from Dr. Denny Smith
Some of this information will be found in your readings, some in your lecture notes.
1. Identify and describe the following structures in the generalized life cycle of angiosperms:
sporophyte, gametophyte, flower, microspore, megaspore, pollen grain, embryo sac, and
Be able to say if each one is haploid or diploid.
2. What is an example of what triggers a plant to flower (
see chap. 26 if you are interested
3. Be able to recognize the following floral structures in a diagram or word description:
receptacle, sepals, calyx, petals, corolla, stamen, anther, filament, carpel, stigma, style,
ovary, and ovule.
4. Distinguish among perfect, imperfect, and composite flowers, and between monoecious
and dioecious plants.
5. Describe in detail the formation of male gametes in angiosperms. (Include in your
description the following terms: anther, microsporocytes, microspores, pollen sacs, pollen