December 3, 2008
Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, … Killing the blues
Plant/Allison Kraus, 2007
quote provided by Steve Kelso
1. Place the events for cloning Dolly (Somatic Cell Nuclear Transfer) in proper order.
1. transfer blastocyst from in vitro (dish) into uterus of surrogate mother
2. transfer nucleus from mammary gland cell into enucleated egg
3. remove donor egg from an unrelated female sheep
4. remove nucleus from donor egg
5. shock egg with electricity and/or calcium to trigger fertilization-like events
6. grow 5-8 days for in vitro into stage
6, 4, 5, 2, 1, 3
1, 3, 5, 2, 4, 6
3, 4, 2, 1, 6, 5
3, 2, 4, 1, 5, 6
3, 4, 2, 5, 6, 1
2. The development of the vulva illustrates an example of how cytoplasmic determinants work in
For question 3:
Several properties are general properties of signal transduction systems, as we discussed
I. they involve release of a signal molecule from one organ, which travels to another, target cell,
possibly in a different organ.
The signal is amplified by the production of thousands of second messenger molecules
inside the target cell.
III. they often use a receptor protein in the target cell membrane to initiate a cascade of events in
the target cell.
3. Regarding the specific signal transduction path in vulva development that involves a tyrosine
kinase receptor which statement is FALSE??
it requires two signal molecules to work, because there are two receptor subunits that need to
come together to start the internal processes
B. each receptor/subunit works first by phosphorylating the other subunit’s tyrosine amino acids
C. each receptor/subunit is responsible for transporting a thousand signal molecules from outside
to inside the cell
internally, the result is often the phosphorylation of a substrate that is itself another kinase