MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEMS (BUS675)
EXAM 1 STUDY GUIDE
1. In its simplest form, a system consists of _______________.
2. The fundamental reasons for business applications of information technology are _______________.
3. The expanding role of information systems from the 1950s to the present, in sequential order, are
4. The rapid development of microcomputer processing power, application software packages, and
telecommunications networks gave birth to the phenomenon of _______________.
5. In an e-business enterprise, an intranet refers to _______________.
6. Electronic commerce systems generally include _______________.
7. When employees in a project team use email to send and receive messages and use video conferences to hold
electronic meetings and coordinate their activities, they are using _______________ systems.
8. An information system that supports the business functions of accounting, finance, human resource
management, marketing, or operations would be classified as a(n) _______________ system.
9. Business applications of information systems are typically combinations of several types of information
systems. This integration is referred to as _______________ systems.
10. In the information systems concept, the processing function involves _______________.
11. An information system depends on what resources?
Some examples of a hardware resource would be _______________.
13. Some examples of a software resource in an information system would be _______________.
14. In an information system context, what would be the an applicable description of application software?
15. Telecommunications networks consist of _______________.
16. A(n) _______________ system is an organized combination of people, hardware, software,
telecommunications networks, and data resources that collects, transforms, and disseminates information in an
17. _______________ is defined as the use of Internet technologies to work and empower business processes,
electronic commerce, and enterprise collaboration within a company and with its customers, suppliers, and
other business stakeholders.
18. Electronic _______________ is the buying, selling, marketing, and servicing of products, services, and
information over a variety of computer networks.
A manufacturing system accepts raw materials as input and produces finished goods as output. An
information system accepts data as input and processes them into _______________ as output.
20. People, hardware, software, __________, and networks are the five basic resources of information systems.