Chapter 4 Objectives (Chang 10)
Dr. Anita Gnezda
of the nomenclature listed on the chapter objectives from chapters 1, 2, and 3.
Be able to do the following:
1. Define and explain the terms pure substance, mixture, heterogeneous mixture, homogeneous mixture, solution, solute,
solvent, nonelectrolyte, strong electrolyte, weak electrolyte, dissociation, hydration, precipitation reaction, precipitate.
2. Know the solubility rules as presented in class and use them to predict the water solubility of a given ionic compound
as in table 4.2 page 125 in Chang and below.
3. Given two soluble ionic compounds, write a balanced molecular equation (including state symbols) describing their
precipitation (metathesis or double replacement) reaction. From the molecular equation, write an ionic equation and a net
4. Identify common acids and bases.
5. Define and explain the following terms: Arrhenius acid, Arrhenius base, Brønsted acid, Brønsted base, hydronium
ion, monoprotic acid, diprotic acid, triprotic acid, neutralization reaction.
6. Predict the products of a neutralization reaction between any acid and any base.