Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
CHAPTER 8: TEST BANK SOME ANSWERS AND COMMENTS ON THE TEXT DISCUSSION QUESTIONS 1. GNP per capita fails to account for the composition of GNP and the distribution of income. Better indicators focus on the end results of economic conditions and policy, such as average life expectancies, infant mortality rates, and literacy rates. 2. Table 7-1 in Chapter 7 indicates that the poorest fifth of the population received 3.7% and the 2 nd poorest fifth of the population received 9.0% of total money income in the U.S. in 1999. This amounts to 12.7% for the poorest 40% of the population. This figure compares with numbers in the LDCs cited in Chapter 8 ranging from 8% in Brazil to 23% in Laos. 3. There is hunger in a world of plenty because unequal income distribution prevents many poor people and poor countries from purchasing food (there is plenty of food available on the worldwide basis). 4. Land reform is difficult to achieve, in part because larger landowners tend to be politically powerful. Some countries have found success by developing new land or by the government “selling off” its land, and awarding it to landless people or small landowners. Government confiscation of land without payment is probably most controversial. 5. These programs can directly improve people’s well-being, while at the same time improving their productivity and the productivity of the country. 6. Far too many development projects have failed because people, including women, have not been active participants in the process, including determining whether the program is desirable in the first place, and how it can best be designed in order to meet their needs. 7. China is notorious for its one- or two-child policies, with stringent coercion through economic sanctions and forced contraceptive use and abortions. While this has been effective, it raises very serious ethical issues and runs contrary to the development objectives in the text. 8. Efforts to improve conditions in LDC cities may encourage greater rural-urban migration, creating even worse urban problems. It is important to emphasize agricultural development and rural amenities along side of urban improvements, in order to encourage many rural residents to stay in the rural sector.
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
9. Developed countries can play an important role through development assistance, debt
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 04/11/2011 for the course ECON chapter10 taught by Professor Amy during the Spring '11 term at 아주대학교.

Page1 / 6


This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online