Chapter01CorradoJordanRex -...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–9. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Chapter 1 Problems 1-21 Input boxes in tan Output boxes in yellow Given data in blue Calculations in red Answers in green NOTE: Some functions used in these spreadsheets may require that the "Analysis ToolPak" or "Solver Add-in" be installed in Excel. To install these, click on "Tools|Add-Ins" and select "Analysis ToolPak and "Solver Add-In." mailto:rexchen@isu.edu.tw?subject=Question for Investment (A7835200 Investment Management)
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
k"
Background image of page 2
Chapter 1 Question 1 Calculating returns Input Area: Shares purchased 100 Initial price $65.00 Dividend paid $1.70 End price $73.00 Output Area: Total dollar return $970.00 =D7*(D9+D10-D8) Whether you choose to sell the stock or not does not affect the gain or loss for the year; your stock is worth what it would bring if you sold it. Whether you choose to do so or not is irrelevant (ignoring commissions and taxes).
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Chapter 1 Question 2 Calculating yields Input Area: Shares purchased 100 Initial price $65.00 Dividend paid $1.70 End price $73.00 Output Area: Capital gains yield 12.31% =(D10-D8)/D8 Dividend yield 2.62% =D9/D8 Total rate of return 14.92% =D16+D17
Background image of page 4
Chapter 1 Question 3 Calculating returns Input Area: Shares purchased 750 Initial price $65.00 Dividend paid $1.70 End price $56.25 Output Area: Dollar return $(5,287.50) =D7*(D9+D10-D8) Capital gains yield -13.46% =(D10-D8)/D8 Dividend yield 2.62% =D9/D8 Total rate of return -10.85% =D17+D18
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Chapter 1 Question 4 Historical returns Output Area: 1926-2002 Table 1.3 Average return Risk Premium Long-term government bonds 5.8% 2.0% Treasury bills 3.8% 0.0% Large stocks 12.2% 8.4% Small stocks 16.9% 13.1%
Background image of page 6
Chapter 1 Question 5 Calculating average returns Input area: Year Jurassic Stonehenge 1 18% 4% 2 28% 10% 3 -22% -3% 4 6% 8% 5 9% 6% Output area: Year Jurassic Stonehenge 1 0.18 0.04 2 0.28 0.10 3 (0.22) (0.03) 4 0.06 0.08 5 0.09 0.06 Total 0.39 0.25 Average return 7.80% 5.00%
Background image of page 7

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Question 6 Calculating returns and variability Input area: Year A B 1 16% 38% 2 5% -5% 3 -10% -10% 4 32% 21% 5 11% 17% Output area: A B Year Deviation Deviation 1 0.16 0.052 0.380 0.258 2 0.05 (0.058) (0.050) (0.172) 3 (0.10) (0.208) (0.100) (0.222) 4 0.32 0.212 0.210 0.088 5 0.11 0.002 0.170 0.048 Total
Background image of page 8
Image of page 9
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 36

Chapter01CorradoJordanRex -...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 9. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online