ch 12 (Capital Market History)

ch 12 (Capital Market History) - Key Concepts and Skills...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Chapter 12 Some Lessons from Capital Market History Slide 12 - 1 Key Concepts and Skills ± Understand, and know how to calculate, the return on an investment ± Understand the historical returns and risks on various types of investments ± Understand capital market efficiency Slide 12 - 2 ± Returns in Financial Markets z Financial markets provide us with information about the returns that are required for various levels of risk. z We examine returns in the financial markets to help us determine the appropriate returns on non-financial assets. ± Lessons from Capital Market History z There is a reward for bearing risk. z The greater the potential reward, the greater the risk. This is called the risk-return trade-off. Risk, Return and Financial Markets Slide 12 - 3 ± Total Dollar Return Total dollar return = Income from investment + Capital gain or loss due to change in stock price ± Percentage Return It is more intuitive to think in terms of percentages than in dollar returns: Total percentage return = Dividend yield + Capital gains yield Dividend yield = Income / Beginning price Capital gains yield =(Ending price – Beginning price)/Beginning price Computing Stock Returns 1 1 1 1 1 + = + = t t t t t t t t t t P D P P P P D P P R
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Slide 12 - 4 Example : You bought a stock for $35 and you received dividends of $1.25. The stock is now selling for $40. What is your dollar return? What is your percentage return? Dollar return = 1.25 + (40 – 35) = $6.25 Dividend yield = 1.25 / 35 = 3.57% Capital gains yield = (40 – 35) / 35 = 14.29% Total percentage return = 3.57 + 14.29 = 17.86% Computing Stock Returns Slide 12 - 5 Historical Returns
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 04/18/2011 for the course FINA 1003 taught by Professor Lin during the Fall '11 term at HKU.

Page1 / 6

ch 12 (Capital Market History) - Key Concepts and Skills...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online