{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

Protein Review - PROTEIN REVIEW I Macromolecules A...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
PROTEIN REVIEW I. Macromolecules A. Macromolecules are a defining feature of living sytems. Macromolecules such as proteins, nucleic acids and polysaccharides are made from the smaller subunits amino acids, nucleotides and simple sugars but the macromolecules by virtue of their great size have properties unique and dramatically different from their simple chemical precursors. These macromolecules have evolved to produce many types of functions such as enzymatic catalysis, build complex structures, store information, recognition of other molecules, communication, electrical conduction, transport of molecules across membranes, etc. etc. They are often composed of thousands and even millions of atoms with molecular weights in the 100 to 200, 000 and beyond range. B. Most of the cell mass is water (70% ) but the remaining 30% is nearly all macromolecules carrying out the functions given above. The structure of macromolecules in terms of the sequence of its subunits and its three dimensional structure is important to its function. II. Proteins A. Proteins are important macromolecules and subserve much of the functioning of the cell. B. By putting amino acids together like strings on a bead a large protein is formed. Just as the bricks of a structure can form a Gothic Cathedral or a barbecue, a
Image of page 1

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern