This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: luidity Factors
• What makes lipids liquid at room temperature?
– – – – – Cis double bonds Causes kink in chain Increases spacing More movement More fluid • Cholesterol?
– Warm – less movement; less fluid – Cold – increases spacing, more fluid Fluid Mosaic Model Embedded Proteins
• Hydrophilic portions of proteins extend into aqueous areas • Hydrophobic portions are embedded in the interior of the bilayer that is also ________. Making more membrane
• Membrane or secreted proteins (made in ER) • Leave ER as vesicles • In the Golgi proteins and lipids are glycosylated (sugars added) • Vesicles fuse with membrane; releasing contents Membrane Structure & Function
• Fluid mosaics of lipids and proteins • Selectively permeable • Transport mechanism
View Full Document