Ch01_Outline

Ch01_Outline - CHAPTER 1 Introduction to Graphics...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
CHAPTER 1 Introduction to Graphics Communication and Sketching 1.1 INTRODUCTION Chapter 1 is an introduction to the graphic language and tools of the engineer and technologist. The chapter explains why technical drawing is an effective way to communicate engineering concepts, relating past developments to modern practices, and examines current industry trends, showing why engineers and technologists today have an even greater need to master graphics communications. Concepts and terms important to understanding technical drawing are explained and defined, and an overview of the tools, underlying principles, standards, and conventions of engineering graphics is included. In addition, this chapter introduces you to sketching and the use of sketching for lettering. These techniques are expanded on in later chapters. Technical drawings are created using a variety of instruments, ranging from traditional tools, such as pencils, compass, and triangles, to the computer. Drawing tools are used to make accurate and legible drawings and models. Traditional drawing instruments are still important, especially for sketching; today, however, the computer can be used for most drawing and modeling requirements. This chapter is an introduction to: computer-aided design/drafting (CAD) systems, including the related hardware, software, and peripheral devices; and the traditional equipment normally used by engineers and technologists to create technical drawing models. In engineering, 92 percent of the design process is graphically based. The other 8 percent is divided between mathematics, and written and verbal communications. Why? Because graphics serves as the primary means of communication for the design process. Drafting and documentation, along with design modeling, comprise over 50 percent of the engineer's time and are purely visual and graphical activities. Engineering analysis depends largely on reading engineering graphics, and manufacturing engineering and functional design also require the production and reading of graphics. Engineering graphics can also communicate solutions to technical problems. Such engineering graphics are produced according to certain standards and conventions so they can be read and accurately interpreted by anyone who has learned those standards and conventions. A designer has to think about the many features of an object that cannot be communicated with verbal descriptions. Technical drawings are a nonverbal method of communicating information. Engineers are creative people who use technical means to solve problems. They design products, systems, devices, and structures to improve our living conditions. Technologists assist engineers and are concerned with the practical aspects of engineering in planning and production. Both engineers and technologists are finding that sharing technical information through graphical means is becoming more important as more nontechnical people become involved in the design/manufacturing process. 1.2 THE IMPORTANCE OF GRAPHICS IN THE DESIGN PROCESS
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 7

Ch01_Outline - CHAPTER 1 Introduction to Graphics...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online