Quiz_1_Tues_Evening - one right after the other. a) (5%)...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
EE3015 Computer Networks Quiz 1 (30 min .) Tues. evening Semester A, 2010/11 Name: ___________________________ Student ID: _____________________ Answer ALL questions. Write your answers on the question paper. 1. (10%) Name the five layers in the Internet Protocol Stack. 2. (12%) What are the four different types of delay associated with packet switched networks? 3. (10%) What is the difference between half-duplex and full-duplex transmission modes? 4. (8%) List two classes of packet-switched network. 5. (10%) List any two responsibilities of the Internet model’s network layer. 6.
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
7. (20%) Consider sending a file of 18,000 bits from Host A to Host B. The file is divided into three packets for transmission. There are three routers between A and B, connected in series, as shown below: B A The transmission speed of each link is 20 Mbps, and the propagation delay on each link is 40 μ sec. The routers are store-and-forward devices. The three packets are sent
Background image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: one right after the other. a) (5%) What is the time required to send one packet from A to the first router? b) (15%) What is the total time required to send the file from A to B? 8. (20%) There are 24 hosts sharing a communication line with a bandwidth of 9600 bps. Each host generates 10 packets per minute into the line. The length of a packet is exponentially distributed with an average of 2000 bits. The queueing delay can be calculated by the following formula: 1 T μ λ = − , where the average packet service rate is defined as / R L = , L is the average packet length, R represents the transmission rate of a packet over the communication line and denotes the average packet arrival rate. For each host, calculate the average queueing delay per packet when the communication line is allocated to the hosts by using: a) (10%) Statistical multiplexing; b) (10%) Time-division multiplexing (TDM). ----- END -----...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 05/01/2011 for the course ELECTRICAL EE3015 taught by Professor Albertsun during the Spring '11 term at City University of Hong Kong.

Page1 / 2

Quiz_1_Tues_Evening - one right after the other. a) (5%)...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online