Quiz_1_Wed_Afternoon - B A The transmission speed of each...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
EE3015 Computer Networks Quiz 1 (30 min.) Wed. afternoon Semester A, 2010/11 Name: ___________________________ Student ID: _____________________ Answer ALL questions. Write your answers on the question paper. 1. (9%) Which layers of protocols do you need to implement in a router? 2. (7%) Which types of delay in the Internet typically vary with time? 3. (8%) Explain what simplex mode means. 4. (12%) What are the three major components of the Internet? Which component of the Internet does a router belong to? 5. (10%) List any two responsibilities of the Internet model’s transport layer. 6. (14%) Compare and contrast datagram and virtual-circuit networks.
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
7. Consider sending a file of 32,000 bits from Host A to Host B. Host A divides the file into four packets and adds 40 bits of header to each packet. There are two routers between A and B, connected in series, as shown below:
Background image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: B A The transmission speed of each link is 20 Mbps. The propagation delay on each link can be neglected. The routers are store-and-forward devices. The four packets are sent one right after the other. a) (5%) What is the time required to send one packet from A to the first router? b) (15%) What is the total time required to send the file from A to B? 8. (20%) Suppose that there are a very large number of users sharing N communication lines. The probability that there are i active users at a particular time is given by the following formula: , ! 1 i e − i = 0, 1, 2, … a) (12%) Determine the smallest possible value for N if the probability of blocking some users is required to be less than 2%. Show your calculation. b) (8%) Using this example to explain the concept of statistical multiplexing. Is it an efficient way to allocate resources? ----- END -----...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 05/01/2011 for the course ELECTRICAL EE3015 taught by Professor Albertsun during the Spring '11 term at City University of Hong Kong.

Page1 / 2

Quiz_1_Wed_Afternoon - B A The transmission speed of each...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online