Chinese 252 Review Questions, Series 1, Part B
1. Of the following states, which four were not among the “central” states and were regarded by people of those states
as semi-barbaric: Jìn,
, L , Qí,
, Zhèng, Sòng
2. What is the difference between the ancient and the modern meanings of the term “Zhōngguó?”
Central plain, and middle country
3. When Chóng’ěr (Lord Wèn of Jìn or Jìn Wén-gōng) came to the state of Cāo, why did the wife of the Cāo officer Xī
advise her husband to bring gifts of food and offers of service to Chóng’ěr?
4. Who said the following to whom and why did he say it: “When the sovereign’s virtue is commendable and brilliant,
the vessels, even if small, would be heavy; when the sovereign’s virtue is darkened and obscured, the vessels, even if
large, would be light.”
5. There is a poem in the
Book of Songs
(‘Kio’ sings the oriole / As it lights on the thorn bush.
..) that describes the
burial of the living with the dead at the funeral of a lord of the Spring and Autumn era. In what state did this take place
and who was the lord?
6. Once an officer had an audience with Ch Zhuāng-wá
ng and said, “A strange bird has alighted in the land of Ch ,
that for three years has not been seen to fly, and for three years has not been heard to sing.” What was the officer
talking about and why didn’t he use plainer language?
Chu Zhuang-wang has an decree saying that anyone who dared to exhort should be executed.
7. Why did K ngz
think that a system of ritual would result in a better society than a system of law?
people will be more self-controlled in a system of ritual rather than a system of law.
8. What is the relationship of Jiè Z Tuī
to the Cold Food Festival (
Jiezitui was burnt to death on that day because of Chong’er’s fault
9. Who exhumed the corpse of a former king of Ch
and gave it three hundred lashes; and why did he do this?
Wu Zixu. Because the former king of Chu killed his father and brother.
10. According to legend, which of the hegemons showed a masterful understanding of political showmanship when he
distributed fine wine to a group of hillbillies who had killed one of his fine horses and were in the process of
devouring its flesh?
11. Why did King Fúchāi order W Z Xū
to commit suicide?
Because fuchai thought Wu was plotting a rebellion.
12. In “Jìn Líng-gōng Was Not a True Ruler,” why does the court historian D ng H
make an official notation that
Zháo Dùn murdered his lord, even though it was knon that the assassin was a different individual?