Chinese 252 Review Questions, Series 2, Part A
1. In which period were the states into which ancient China divided more numerous, the Spring and Autumn period or
the Warring States period?
2. In the Warring States period, what state was the first to start putting legalist principles into practice?
3. What dynasty is said to have come to an end soon after its last king started setting fire to signal pyres on a mountain
outside the capital?
4. What major state split into three smaller states at the beginning of the Warring States era?
5. What ruler did Gu n Zhòng serve as prime minister?
6. What prompted K ngz to say “Fierce government is worse than tigers?
7. After Bì Yù Ràng had tried twice to assassinate the Zhào Xi ngz , the latter allowed him to take symbolic revenge
before taking his own life. What was this symbolic revenge?
8. Why did S n B n become a deadly enemy of Páng Ju n, though the two had once been close friends and fellow
there is a story about a mountain that once had been covered with lush vegetation, but later became bare
and ugly due to the incessant activities of woodcutters, cattle-herders, and other plunderers. What is the point of the
10. Who attracted the attention of Gu n Zhòng and then of Qí Huán-g ng by tapping the horns of his ox and singing a
song, parts of which went, “South Mount glistens, / South Rock glitters,… / Never have I seen a Yáo yield to Shùn,… /
The long night stretches long, / When will it dawn?”
11. What mythical Chinese ruler is said to have served his parents devotedly, even though they tried on two occasions
to kill him?
12. With what school of philosophy are the writings of Zhu ngz associated?
13. Who is quoted in several places as saying, “I am not distressed at the failure of others to know me; I am distressed
only at my own failure to know others?”
14. What were the “three burrows” that Féng Xu n prepared for Mèngcháng J n?
15. Ch was: a) south of Zhèng;
b) west of Zhèng;
c) north of Zhèng;
d) east of Zhèng
16. Which was earlier, the Spring and Autumn period or the Warring States period?
17. Who gained a loyal and enterprising general by not exposing and executing a man who had taken a liberty with one
his concubines at a banquet?
18. Who in 246 BCE carried out the order of the king of Qín to take troops out and wipe out what remained of the Zh u
19. Which two of the following Chinese syllables rhyme, or nearly rhyme?
20. In historical legend, what is the relationship of X Sh to the destruction of Wú?
21. Who first said the following, and what, briefly, were the circumstances: “A man-at-arms dies for one who knows
him, as a woman adorns herself for one who delights in her?”
22. When Sh ng Y ng lost favor in Qín and became a fugitive, what did an innkeeper say to him when he sought to stay
overnight at his inn?
23. What famous statesman of the early Spring and Autumn period was credited by K ngz with having saved the