This preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.
This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.View Full Document
Unformatted text preview: Othello Act III
Questions Comprehension. Answer on own paper, in short responses: 1. Who does Cassie ask the clown to wake? 2. Why does Cassie want to talk to Desdemona? 3. What happens in Scene 2? 4. Who sees Cassio talking to Desdemona and Emilia? 5. What does Iago ask Othello that starts Othello worrying? 6. Note the uses of "Honest" again? Give several examples. 7. What does Iago keep telling Othello? Look at lines 210-213. 8. What does Emilia find (289)? What does she do with it? 9. What does Iago tell Othello that really makes him suspect Desdemona?
10. What does Othello ask Desdemona? 11. What does Desdemona do that gets her deeper in trouble? 12. Who has the handkerchief at the end of Act III? Where did he find it? Who does he think it belongs to? Discussion Questions. Answer in paragraph form (4-5 sent) 13. Look at fines (sc 3) 165-167. What is Iago warning Othello against? Why is this ironic? 14. What is Emilia’s role in this act? Why is she important? What are her opinions of men? (sc 4
line 103-106) Who’xsside is she on? 15. What is Othello's'condition in this act? Look at his speech in sc 3 tine 257076, what does he
say there. why is it significant that he’s talking to himself? 16. How has Desdemona changed in this act? What is her role in the actions that take place? Othello Act IV
Questions Short Answer: Sc. 1 1. Why does Othello fall into a trance? 2. What's Iago’s goal in talking to Cassio about Bianca?
Who does Othello think he’s talking about? Who throws the handkercheif at Cassie? What letter does Lodovico bring? What does it ask for?
What does Iago tell Lodovico? How is Ludovico related to Desdemona? . Find an example of the word honesty. Sc. 2
9. What does Othello ask Emilia? 10. What does he make Desdemona swear to him? 11. What does he accuse her of being? 12. Who shows back up to talk to Iago? Sc. 3 13. What has Othello told Desdemona to do at the beginning of the scene? 14. What do Desdemona and Emilia discuss as Desdemona’s getting ready for bed? rib-9° 0051.091 Discussion Quetions 15. Why do you think Iago isn't as devious in this act? 16. What ways does Shakespeare foreshadow the ending of the play? Give examples. 17. Predict what will happen in Act V. Tell what evidence from the play makes you think this. Othello Act V
Questions Short Answer Sc. 1 1. What is Iago encouraging at the beginning of the scene? 2. Who does Othello think has killed Cassio? 3. Example of honest. 4. Who kiils Roderigo? Why? Who does Emilia think killed Roderigo?
Sc. 2 5. What is Othello saying he’s going to do at the beginning of the scene?
6. What keeps stopping him? 7. What does Desdemona plead with Othello for? 8. What does Desdemona say when Emile asks who killed her? 9. Who is the first one to figure out Iago is a liar? 10. What happens to Emilia? 11. What does Othello say when he wounds Iago? 12. Who comes in to reveal all of Iago’s wrongs to Roderigo? 13. What does Othello do? 14. Who‘s left alive at the end? Discussion 15. Why do you think Othello thinks it would be better to die? 16. A typical trait of Shakespearean tragedy is that it revolves around a misunderstanding that is
compounded over time. What do you think about this. Has a mismiderstanding affected you at some time?
17. Assess the play as a whole. What do you think Shakespeare’s message was? Why would he create such a character as Iago? Does Iago ever redeem himself? ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 05/16/2011 for the course LIT 341 taught by Professor Lisle during the Fall '10 term at Grand Valley State University.
- Fall '10
- Othello, Othello, Iago, Desdemona, Cassio, Roderigo, Emilia, Lodovico