{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

ISP lecture march14,2011 - Mariana trench-Sodium 30.62&...

Info icon This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
1. sea water covers 70.8% of the earths surface 2. land covers the remaining 29.2% of earth. 3. Water and land are unevenly distributed 4. The uneven distribution of land plays an important role in circulation of water. Oceans: receive the majority of incoming solar energy Direct conversion to heat energy Interactions with the atmosphere Evaporation & precipitation Transfer of gravitational energy to the earths system 1.35 billion cubic km or 324 million cubic miles of water. Average depth is 4500 or 14760 ft
Image of page 1
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Mariana trench-Sodium 30.62% & Chloride 55.07% are the prominent salts in the ocean Water has a high heat capacity- large amounts of solar radiation absorbed producing small increases in temperature. Ramge 36 Deg C(97 Deg F) -2 Deg C (28 Deg F) (Land 146 Deg C) Colder water is denser and tends to sink Density increases with salinity- saltier water tends to sink Colder, higher salinity water sinks General patterns of gyres (land masses, corolis effect and prevailing winds)...
View Full Document

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern