This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: Big Business and the Big Business and the Labor Response Outline
Outline Big Business – Second Industrial Revolution
– World of Big Business Labor Response – Early Activity
– Major Strikes Big Business
Big Business Second Industrial Revolution Businesses – Railroad
– Steel Big Business, cont.
Big Business, cont. Industrialists – Gould, Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, Carnegie, Morgan Innovations – Vertical Integration
– Trusts and monopolies
– Scientific Management Big Business, cont.
Big Business, cont. The World of Big Business – Government Laissez Faire – Industrialists’ world
– Labor’s world Pinkerton Detectives Walker Evans, “Steel Mill and Workers’ Houses, Birmingham, AL, 1936” Labor Response
Labor Response Early Activity Molly Maguires
Great Railroad Strike of 1877
– Haymarket Affair
– Unions – Knights of Labor
– American Federation of Labor (AFL) Major Strikes – Homestead Strike
– Pullman Strike Discussion
Discussion Workingman’s Ten Commandments Homestead Strike Songs Looking Ahead
Looking Ahead Monday – Political Responses Readings TBA – will be posted on Blackboard tomorrow (I’ll create an announcement) Wednesday – Jim Crow and the Rise of Modern Racism Midterm One ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 06/03/2011 for the course HIST 112 taught by Professor Littlefield during the Spring '08 term at South Carolina.
- Spring '08