Unformatted text preview: Immigration and Immigration and Urbanization Outline
Outline Immigration – Waves of Immigration
– Push and Pull factors
– Life in America
– Nativism Urbanization – Push and Pull
– Urban Life Leisure Immigration
Immigration Waves of Immigration Push Factors Pull Factors Life in America – Tenement Houses
– Work Nativism – Reasons – Actions Urbanization
Urbanization Push and Pull New Technologies Urban Life – Labor
– Middle Class
– Urban Services
– Ethnic groups Urbanization, cont.
Urbanization, cont. Leisure – Middle class leisure
– Working class leisure Saloon culture – Spectator Sports Discussion
Discussion Finish Calof Discussion
Jacob Riis Photographs – group discussion – What do these pictures tell us about urban life at the turn of the century?
– How does Riis illustrate the hardships of tenement life, via photography?
– How and why might he have chosen these subjects? What point is he trying to make?
– How do we, as historians (students of history), use photographs as historical sources? How to Write a History Paper
How to Write a History Paper Assignment on Blackboard Guidelines to Writing a History Paper on Blackboard Hint – outline, organization, argument Next Classes
Next Classes Wednesday – Calof Paper Due
– Big Business and the Labor Response The Workingman’s Ten Commandments, Homestead Strike Songs (links in syllabus) Monday – Political Responses Reading TBA ...
View Full Document
- Spring '08
- Week-day names, Human migration, urban life