Unformatted text preview: Reconstruction
Announcements New office hours – 6pm7pm, Mon and Wed – Gambrell 217, 248B, or 140 What I Want You to Learn Today
What I Want You to Learn Today What is Reconstruction? How did various groups define Reconstruction differently? How did Americans remember the Civil War and Reconstruction in the years following these events? What kind of nation emerged out of Reconstruction? Short Outline
Short Outline What is Reconstruction?
Stages of Reconstruction – Presidential Reconstruction
– Radical Reconstruction AfricanAmericans and Reconstruction
Southerners and Reconstruction
End of Reconstruction
Legacy of Reconstruction
Discussion What is Reconstruction?
What is Reconstruction? Need for Reconstruction – The South after the Civil War
– Questions about the American nation Definition Conflicting Goals of Reconstruction – The Union
– The South
– AfricanAmericans Stages of Reconstruction
Stages of Reconstruction During the War – Lincoln vs Congress Two Main Stages – Presidential Reconstruction
– Radical Reconstruction Presidential Reconstruction
Presidential Reconstruction Johnson’s Agenda Actions – Proclamation of Amnesty Decline of Johnson’s power Radical Reconstruction
Radical Reconstruction Congress’s Agenda Actions – Freedmen’s Bureau
– Reconstruction Amendments
– Military Reconstruction Acts
– Impeaching Johnson AfricanAmericans and AfricanAmericans and Reconstruction Goals – Control of Daily Life
– Control of Labor
– Political Rights Southerners and Reconstruction
Southerners and Reconstruction Republican Minority AntiReconstruction – Black Codes
– Violence End of Reconstruction
End of Reconstruction Loss of Northern Will Readmission of Confederate States “Redemption” of Southern Governments Compromise of 1877 Legacy of Reconstruction
Legacy of Reconstruction Political and Economic Legacy – Politics and Rights
– Sharecropping Memory of Reconstruction – Lost Cause Discussion
Discussion Definition of historiography How do these historians deal with the major issues of Reconstruction? What do we do with these interpretations? Next Week
Next Week Monday – New South – “Henry Grady Sells the New South”
– http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5745 Wednesday – The West – First half of Rachel Caloff’s Story due – start reading ahead!!
– Also, introducing Hjalmar Hultberg ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 06/03/2011 for the course HIST 112 taught by Professor Littlefield during the Spring '08 term at South Carolina.
- Spring '08