statistics that measure observable aspects of a population,
including size, age, gender, ethnic group, income, education, occupation and
Age (see Age Demographics Excell spreadsheet)
Gender – differences between male and female
a man who is heterosexual, sensitive, educated, and
an urban dweller who is in touch with his feminine side.
strong aesthetic sense and spends a great deal of time and money on
his appearance and lifestyle.
- Use to be birth, early childhood, teenagers, young single, adults,
married, parents, empty nest, seniors
now we have single parents, same sex marriages, etc.
Income and social class
- prestige products for rich and famous
- Dollar General for women in rural areas with lower family income
Race and Ethnicity
- African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Asian Americans are the 3
fastest growing ethnic groups in the U.S.
- Hispanics tend to be brand-loyal, especially to products made in their
country of origin
- Hispanics tend to be highly concentrated by national origin, which
makes it easy to fine tune the marketing mix to appeal to them
- Hispanic segment is young (median age is 23.6 compared to U.S.
average of 32)