This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: M LA Style ~ Quick Tips
1. Document everything t hat is not your own—both exact words and
paraphrased ideas. In addition, you should cite all numbers (stated and
i mplied), and lit t le known or controversial facts.
2. Remember that quotations should be perfectly verbatim.
3. Remember that every quotation (even a word or two) must have an internal
4. Please remember that quotations can never ever be inserted directly into your
paper without leading into them or out of them with your own words. For
example, the following would be unacceptable: Nuclear energy scares even the most reasoned individual. “I t is a realm of energy
usage better left untapped” (Johnson 235). Instead, you should lead into quotations w ith some indication of whose words are
i ncluded, or the significance of these words: Nuclear energy scares even the most reasoned individual. One prominent Energy
Consultant, Bill Johnson, in fact, says that “it is a realm of energy usage better left
u ntapped” (235).
5. Remember that a paraphrase of words wr it ten by another individual require
t hat you read the material, set it aside, and then wri te the idea in your own
words and sentence structures. ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 06/09/2011 for the course CHFD 342 taught by Professor Maki during the Spring '11 term at American Public University.
- Spring '11