Unformatted text preview: The Great Depression Outline Origins
Life in the Great Depression
Culture Government Response Dorothea Lange, “Migrant Mother” Origins 1920s Prosperity Weaknesses Hoover’s initial actions Market Crash Life in the Great Depression International aspect
Hardships – Loss of savings, unemployment, foreclosures, homelessness, soup lines, other Dust Bowl
Response – Veterans’ March – Farmers and unions – Informal Culture Goodwell, Okla.
Chris Johns, National Geographic Government Response Hoover – Approach
– Actions FDR – Election G. B. Inwood, Life Magazine, Jan 9, 1931 Discussion Dorothea Lange photographs Constituent Letters to the Roosevelts Dorothea Lange Personal History Paper Due April 26, 7pm via SafeAssign – 45 pages
Purpose – Analyze a major theme in US history since 1865 – Connect that theme to something personal to you and to your personal history Two options – Family history
– Hometown/USC history One theme within US history since 1865 – how it intersected your family/hometown/USC
– Analysis, not narrative and not descriptive
– Be creative with topics and sources
– May need limited outside research I’m happy to help with brainstorming, topics, sources, ideas, etc
Detailed assignment posted on Blackboard ...
View Full Document