Unformatted text preview: mm 1. No physical reference Am I accommodating? Am I a good person? Am I intelligent?
2. No reference of comparison (No object comparison) Ex) bench press Am I average? What is average? Am I above or below average?
1. Social comparison Social comparison Theory
Sometimes people rely on other people
WHEN, they are in under condition of uncertainty
Who do we compare ourselves to?
SOMEONE who are similar to us along relevant dimensions
Ex) Thomas’ friend who have breast cancer One day she feels good and the other day she feels really bad. WHY? 0 Upward comparison: Better off than you are
Normal reaction—>Rejection, Depression, Frustration
- Downward comparison: Worse off than you are Normal reaction—>Joy, Hopeful, Happy Some people live unhappily and spend their whole lives what they don’t have not
what they do have. 2. Reﬂected Appraisals: Observing how other people responding to us
0 Looking glass self: getting information from other people about how
they see us ‘ ctual Au raisa ~+Perceived An nraisa —>Se1f-A raisa 1) People are very good at ﬁguring out how people in general think of us
2) People are not good at knowing how individual people think of us Ex) Average temperature in state of Illinois over one specific day vs. over a year B. Inner world
1. Introspection—>Direct access to our own metal state Ex) Anderson’s study Whether stranger understand you better IF, they can read your mind, thought, and motion
Or IF, they observe your behavior ...
View Full Document
- Spring '11