{[ promptMessage ]}

Bookmark it

{[ promptMessage ]}

Chapter 6b notes - CHM 1025 Chapter 6b Energy Changes 1...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Chapter 6 Toyota 1 CHM 1025 Chapter 6b Energy Changes 1. Many different kinds of energy: a. _______________________ b. _______________________ c. _______________________ d. _______________________ e. _______________________ f. _______________________ 2. Law of conservation of energy ________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________________________. a. Transformation of energy b. A c. Efficiency is a the amount of useful work achieved from an energy conversion i. Examples: 1. In an internal combustion engine 32% of the chemical energy is used to do work. What happens to the other 68% of the energy? 2. Coal is used to heat water to turn turbines that generate electricity. What is the overall efficiency if 88% of the energy from coal is converted to steam; 46% steam to mechanical energy; 98% mechanical to electrical; and, 4% to light in a light bulb. ii. Why is a fluorescent light more efficient than an incandescent light bulb? 3. Energy in Chemical Reactions a. Enthalpy i. Is written _____. In simple terms in represents the heat of a system at constant pressure. More often we look at the change in enthalpy of a system ( ______ )—the difference between the final and initial content.
Image of page 1

Info icon This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern