Short Essay Questions:
1. How did nationalistic composers show ethnic expression in their music?
included national identity in their music by using folk songs, native scales, dance rhythms, and
local instrumental sounds. They based works on the legends, myths, history, and literature of
the people, particularly in opera and programmatic instrumental music. They created vocal
music in their own language and provided folk melodies within opera and song.
2. What was the goal of the group of 19th-century composers known as the "Russian
3. What do you see in the performance of the "Coronation Scene" from the opera
4. In the performance of the "Coronation Scene" from the opera
5. In the performance of the "Coronation Scene" from the opera
in the lesson on nationalism), how did the set designer visually contribute to the illusion