This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: ow they are different.
7. Distinguish between nonpolar covalent, polar covalent and ionic bonds.
8. Explain why strong covalent bonds and weak bonds are both essential in living
9. Distinguish between hydrogen bonds and van der Waals interactions.
Application example: you may be asked to calculate proton, neutron, electron numbers or
determine the type of chemical bonds between two atoms.
1. With the use of a diagram or diagrams, explain why water molecules are:
b. capable of hydrogen bonding with 4 neighboring water molecules
2. List four characteristics of water that are emergent properties resulting from hydrogen
3. Define cohesion and adhesion. Explain how water’s cohesion and adhesion contribute to
the movement of water from the roots to the leaves of a tree.
4. Explain the following observations by referring to the properties of water:
• Coastal areas have milder climates than adjacent inland areas.
• Ocean temperatures fluctuate much less than temperatures on land.
• Insects like water striders can walk on the surface of a pond without breaking the
• If you slightly overfill a water glass, the water will form a conve...
View Full Document
- Fall '08