ch12%20(Capital%20Market%20History)[1]

ch12%20(Capital%20Market%20History)[1] - 12 Some Lessons...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–4. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
12 Some Lessons from Capital Market History Slide 12 - 1 Key Concepts and Skills ± Understand, and know how to calculate, the return on an investment ± Understand the historical returns and risks on various types of investments ± Understand capital market efficiency
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Slide 12 - 2 ± Returns in Financial Markets z Financial markets provide us with information about the returns that are required for various levels of risk. z We examine returns in the financial markets to help us determine the appropriate returns on non-financial assets. ± Lessons from Capital Market History z There is a reward for bearing risk. z The greater the potential reward, the greater the risk. This is called the risk-return trade-off. Risk, Return and Financial Markets Slide 12 - 3 ± Total Dollar Returns Total dollar return = Income from investment + Capital gain (or loss) due to change in price ± Percentage Returns It is more intuitive to think in terms of percentages than in dollar returns. Dividend yield = Income / Beginning price Capital gains yield =(Ending price – Beginning price)/Beginning price Total percentage return = Dividend yield + Capital gains yield Computing Stock Returns
Background image of page 2
Slide 12 - 4 ± Example You bought a stock for $35 and you received dividends of $1.25. The stock is now selling for $40. What is your dollar return? What is your percentage return? Dollar return = 1.25 + (40 – 35) = $6.25 Dividend yield = 1.25 / 35 = 3.57% Capital gains yield = (40 – 35) / 35 = 14.29% Total percentage return = 3.57 + 14.29 = 17.86% Computing Stock Returns Slide 12 - 5 Large Companies Historical Return data Historical Returns
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 4
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 10

ch12%20(Capital%20Market%20History)[1] - 12 Some Lessons...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 4. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online