Paper 3_Viper - How does Viper work? (Click here for full...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
How does Viper work? (Click here for full explanation) Viper scans your work against over 6 billion web pages, as well as against all work previously submitted to our company. Viper's report identifies content in your work that matches these sources. A positive match DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THAT YOUR WORK IS PLAGIARISED. You need to review the report carefully. Ask yourself: * Where there is matching material, is there a sufficient amount to indicate that the Writer has taken the material from a source, or is it just a fragment? * If the Writer has taken material from a source, have they properly referenced it? If you do not see a reference, check your original document in case there is a footnote that Viper has not detected. Viper will show a match where there is a string of 5 or more words that are the same as your work. So it will identify fragments that match, which are not necessarily plagiarism. It is important that Viper does not ignore these fragments as they draw your attention to any sentences where the writer has 'rephrased' parts of the original material (keeping the initial structure) without giving due credit. Sometimes, Viper will identify matching material that is available on websites, but which the Writer may have actually taken from somewhere else (and given proper credit for). So the fact that the work has content which matches a particular website does not mean the Writer has used that website. They may have obtained the material from another source. Viper checks for direct quotes - i.e. material included in quotation marks "like this". It will give you an overall percentage of words it thinks are direct quotes. Clearly, this should not be too high as work that relies too heavily on other material is not 'original'. You should also check that all the direct quotes in your paper have actually been referenced by the Writer. Overall Plagiarism Rating This is a general indication of how much matching content the scan found in your work. As a guide: Overall plagiarism rating 6% or less : Highly unlikely to contain plagiarised material. A careful check will only be necessary if this is a lengthy piece (a finding of 6% in a 15,000 word essay, for example, would be of greater concern!) Overall plagiarism rating 6 - 12% : Low risk of containing any plagiarised material. Most of the matching content will probably be fragments.
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Review your report for any sections that may not have been referenced properly. Overall plagiarism rating 13 - 20% : Medium risk of containing any plagiarised material. There may be sections that match websites - you need to make sure that the Writer has given proper credit for these. The scan may not have detected quotation marks or footnotes that the writer has used (for example, if they have used an opening quotation mark but failed to close it) which could explain the higher result. Check carefully. Overall plagiarism rating 21%+ :
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 08/17/2011 for the course ENGL 1301 taught by Professor Sergebrethe during the Summer '09 term at Austin Community College.

Page1 / 7

Paper 3_Viper - How does Viper work? (Click here for full...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online