Chapter 37 - Chapter 37 Plant Nutrition Chapter 37 Plant...

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Chapter 37 - Plant Nutrition Chapter 37 Plant Nutrition Lecture Outline Outline: A Nutritional Network Every organism is an open system linked to its environment by a continuous exchange of energy and materials. o In ecosystems, plants and other photosynthetic autotrophs perform the crucial step of transforming inorganic compounds into organic ones. o Plants need sunlight as the energy source for photosynthesis. o They also need inorganic raw materials such as water, CO2, and inorganic ions to synthesize organic molecules. o Plants obtain CO2 from the air. Most vascular plants obtain water and minerals from the soil through their roots. o The branching root and shoot systems of vascular plants allow them to draw from soil and air reservoirs of inorganic nutrients. Roots, through fungal mycorrhizae and root hairs, absorb water and minerals from the soil. CO2 diffuses into leaves from the surrounding air through stomata. Concept 37.1 Plants require certain chemical elements to complete their life cycle Early ideas about plant nutrition were not entirely correct and included: o Aristotle’s hypothesis that soil provided the substance for plant growth. o van Helmont’s conclusion from his experiments that plants grow mainly from water. o Hale’s postulate that plants are nourished mostly by air. In fact, soil, water, and air all contribute to plant growth. Plants extract mineral nutrients from the soil. Mineral nutrients are essential chemical elements absorbed from soil in the form of inorganic ions. o For example, many plants acquire nitrogen in the form of nitrate ions (NO3?). o However, as van Helmont’s data suggested, mineral nutrients from the soil contribute little to the overall mass of a plant. About 80–90% of a plant is water. Because water contributes most of the hydrogen ions and some of the oxygen atoms that are incorporated into organic atoms, one can consider water a nutrient. o However, only a small fraction of the water entering a plant contributes to organic molecules. o More than 90% of the water absorbed by a field of corn is lost by transpiration.
Image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
o Most of the water retained by a plant functions as a solvent, provides most of the mass for cell elongation, and helps maintain the form of soft tissues by keeping cells turgid. By weight, the bulk of the organic material of a plant is derived not from water or soil minerals, but from the CO2 assimilated from the atmosphere. The dry weight of an organism can be determined by drying it to remove all water. About 95% of the dry weight of a plant consists of organic molecules. The remaining 5% consists of inorganic molecules. o Most of the organic material is carbohydrate, including cellulose in cell walls. Carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen are the most abundant elements in the dry weight of a plant.
Image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern