RES week4 - RES/ 5.....

Info icon This preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
RES/341 Week 4 Answer Guide - Statistics 5.62  -A certain airplane has two independent alternators to provide electrical power. The probability that a given  alternator will fail on a 1-hour  flight  is .02. What is the probability that (a) both will fail? (b) Neither will fail? (c) One or  the other will fail? Show all steps carefully. (a) Both Fail N = 2, p = .02, a = alternator 1, b = alternator 2 Pa  Ç  Pb =  (.02)(.02) = 0.0004 The probability that both will fail is 0.0004 or 0.04% (b) Neither Will Fail 1-( Pa + Pb) + (Pa  Ç  Pb) =  (1 - 0.04) + 0.0004 = 0.9604 The probability that neither will fail is 0.9604 or 96.04% (c) One or the other will fail Pa + Pb - (Pa  Ç  Pb)=  0.02 + 0.02 – 0.0004 = 0.0396  The probability that one or the other will fail is 0.0396 or 3.96% 5.70  - * The probability is 1 in 4,000,000 that a single  auto  trip in the United States will result in a fatality. Over a  lifetime, an average U.S. driver takes 50,000 trips. (a) What is the probability of a fatal accident over a lifetime? 
Image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

{[ snackBarMessage ]}

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern