Unformatted text preview: Cohesive Design of Personalized Web Cohesive Design of Personalized Web Applications Schwabe, D. Mattos Guimaraes, R. Rossi, G.
Pontificia Univ. Catolica do Rio de Janeiro;
Internet Computing, IEEE, 34-43, Vol. 6, Issue 2,
Mar/Apr 2002 Presented by Yinghua Hu Content
• Introduction The Software Engineering Approach OOHDM Design Framework Mapping OOHDM Designs Personalization Patterns Conclusion Introduction
• Today’s challenge is building customizable Internet applications. – New kinds of personalization have become important with the rise of ecommerce and increasing competition among sophisticated Web sites. • Reseachers have paid little attention to integrating all the personalization features into a single design. • This article describes using the ObjectOriented Hypermedia Design Method (OOHDM) for constructing customized Web applications. The Software Engineering The Software Engineering Approach
• Legacy Web applications are already a reality, •
• possibly heralding a Web software crisis.
Designing complex Web applications requires rigorous software engineering techniques.
Web applications exhibit features different from conventional software.
New methods required to address Web applications’ particular design dimension. OOHDM Design Framework
OOHDM Design Framework
• Web application models involve
– A conceptual model
– A navigational model
– An interface model • In OOHDM, these models are built using objectoriented primitives with a syntax close to UML. What does the OOHDM framework What does the OOHDM framework provide? • For the conceptual model, the OOHDM •
• framework explicitly represents users, roles, and groups, and defines algorithms that implement different business rules for different users;
For the navigational model, it defines completely different applications for each profile, customizes node contents and structure and personalizes links and indexes.
For the interface model, it defines different layouts according to user preferences or selected devices. Mapping OOHDM Designs
Mapping OOHDM Designs Personalization Patterns
• Rolebased Personalization
Behavior Personalization Behavior Personalization
• Suppose we want to provide individualized responses to a particular operation
• Solution – Personalize the application behavior by making the behavior dependent on the user triggering it. • OOHDM approach Behavior Personalization
Behavior Personalization Using Patterns to Simplify Design
Using Patterns to Simplify Design
Understanding the personalization patterns to apply simplifies the design enterprise, because we can reuse design experience when dealing with previously solved situations. Conclusion
• The authors strongly believe that the key aspect • for obtaining evolvable personalized Web applications is to separate design concerns by focusing on architectural and design issues before building the actual application.
Most of the design decisions discussed here can be easily applied in other Web design methods. ...
View Full Document
- Spring '09
- Rio de Janeiro, web applications, Personalization, Mapping OOHDM Designs, OOHDM Design Framework