Sunshine State Standards for Be Wet Smart
The student uses the scientific processes
and habits of mind to solve problems.
knows that investigations are conducted to explore new phenomena, to check on previous results, to
test how well a theory predicts, and to compare different theories
3. understands that no matter how well one theory fits observations, a new theory might fit them as
well or better, or might fit a wider range of observations, because in science, the testing, revising,
and occasional discarding of theories, new and old, never ends and leads to an increasingly better
understanding of how things work in the world, but not to absolute truth.
6. understands that, in the short run, new ideas that do not mesh well with mainstream ideas in science
often encounter vigorous criticism and that, in the long run, theories are judged by how they
fit with other theories, the range of observations they explain, how well they explain observations,
and how effective they are in predicting new findings.
7. understands the importance of a sense of responsibility, a commitment to peer review, truthful
reporting of the methods and outcomes of investigations, and making the public aware of the
The student understands the consequences of using limited
natural resources. (SC.G.2.4)
2. knows that changes in a component of an ecosystem will have unpredictable effects on the entire
system but that the components of the system tend to react in a way that will restore the ecosystem
to its original condition.
4. knows that the world ecosystems are shaped by physical factors that limit their productivity.
5. understands that the amount of life any environment can support is limited and that human activities
can change the flow of energy and reduce the fertility of the Earth.
6. knows the ways in which humans today are placing their environmental support systems at risk
(e.g., rapid human population growth, environmental degradation, and resource depletion).
The student understands the need for protection of the natural systems on Earth.
understands that people influence the quality of life of those around them.
The student understands the need for protection of the
natural systems on Earth. (SC.D.2.2)
1. knows that using, recycling, and reducing the use of natural resources improve and protect the
The student understands the consequences of using limited natural resources. (SC.G.2.2)
1. knows that all living things must compete for Earth’s limited resources; organisms best adapted to
compete for the available resources will be successful and pass their adaptations (traits) to
2. knows that the size of a population is dependent upon the available resources within its