Notes 28 Sep 09

Notes 28 Sep 09 - -Supposed to be a discussion forum, NOT a...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
28 Sep 09 Political Science Intergovernmental Organizations (IGO) "...institutions created and joined by  states '  governments"  Types of IGOs Multipurpose Single Purpose Global United Nations World Health Organization Regional European Union North Atlantic Treaty Org.  Most IGO's are regional!   Substantial growth of IGOs since 1909. ..mainly due to  1. The increase of # of states 2. Fall of the Soviet Union United Nations Purposes -Maintain international peace and security (Collective Security) -Create a mechanism to deal w/ aggressive actions, issues (i.e. result of World War II) -Promote cooperation in solving international problems -Encourage respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms -192 members, almost all countries in the world General Assembly -Consists of all UN member states.  Each state has one vote.
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Background image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: -Supposed to be a discussion forum, NOT a decision forum. -A place where we could discuss various issues. (Sovereign Equality)-Most decisions made by a simple majority vote.-Global South states have significant numerical majority-Resolutions it passes are only recommendations. It can't require states to take action.-Makes and approves regular UN budget.-NOT A WORLD GOVERNMENT. ..IT'S DECISIONS ARE NOT BINDING. .."This is what we would like to happen "-Ten wealthiest UN members contribute 82% of the budget. -Remaining 182 states pay 18%. (US and Japan are #1,#2 when it comes to paying the most)-US pays 22% of regular UN budget ($453 million in 2008)...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 08/29/2011 for the course POL. SCI 2401 taught by Professor Gridley during the Fall '10 term at SPSU.

Page1 / 2

Notes 28 Sep 09 - -Supposed to be a discussion forum, NOT a...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online