Recrystallization

Recrystallization - cotton. During the vacuum process, the...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Andre Hinojosa 12601675 Lab Partner: Chelsea Azevedo TA: Nick Barczak 6/30/10 Recrystallization of Salicylic Acid and Bromoacetanilide The purpose of this lab was to dissolve a solute in a specifically chosen solvent at boiling point in order to super saturate the liquid. For this experiment we used water to dissolve salicylic acid and an ethanol-water mixture to dissolve bromoacetanilide. The salicylic acid appeared as a fine, white powder, that appeared to have granular crystals. The bromoacetanilide looked tan, sandy, and granular. After dissolving the compounds in their respective solvents, which took much longer for the water and salicylic acid than the ethanol-water, the crystals that formed were collected by vacuum and dried in an oven. The crystals looked much different than the original compounds that were dissolved, thus confirming the purification process. Of the originally .102 g of bromoacetanilide dissolved, we were able to recover .065 g of crystals or about 63.7% recovery. These crystals were fine and fuzzy and looked almost like
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Background image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: cotton. During the vacuum process, the filter paper we used ripped and much and the sample fell through. To try and recover our losses, a new funnel was prepared with more filters and the old filter was placed on top of the new ones and washed with solvent. By doing this, I feel that we recovered most of the crystals. Of the original .101 g of salicylic acid dissolved, we recovered . 068 g or 67.3% recovery. The salicylic acid crystals were long, white, and needle-like. Because of the design of the experiment, which has many steps in isolating the crystals through vacuum filtration and also drying in an oven, it explains our percent recovery. Our samples were lost in the steps of scraping the crystals from the filter paper to the scale as well as from the scales to the glass on which they were dried. Overall, the experiment was successful and our percent recovery came out good....
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 08/30/2011 for the course OCHEM 51L taught by Professor Staff during the Winter '10 term at UC Irvine.

Page1 / 2

Recrystallization - cotton. During the vacuum process, the...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online