This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full content.
Unformatted text preview: activate
enzymes Æ turn metabolic pathways on/off. Compound messenger effects
– Insulin stimulates lipogenesis; glucagon stimulates
lipolysis. • Synergistic:
– Both glucagon and epinephrine receptors cause the
production of cAMP second messenger in the same cell. • Complementary:
– FSH and testosterone stimulate different parts of
spermatogenesis. • Permissive:
– Glucocorticoids stimulate the synthesis of enzymes that
are regulated by epinephrine. Neurons conduct electrochemical impulses
and transmit messages to other cells Neurons —
1. Membrane potential
4. Transmission Heyer 3 Coordination of Body Functions • Dendrites: increase surface area of cell
body to receive signals.
• Cell body: location of nucleus and most
• Axon: conducts electrochemical
• Termini: transmit message to target cell. Neuron: A Nerve Cell Axons are Polarized:
Resting Potential Membranes of neurons are
• Chemical gradients of
ions produce electrica...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 09/02/2011 for the course BIOL 6a taught by Professor Staff during the Fall '10 term at DeAnza College.
- Fall '10