Research Project on Armenia

Research Project on Armenia - Adam Ohanesian May 24th, 2011...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Adam Ohanesian May 24 th , 2011 Research Project Research Project on Armenia Country Background: Armenian traditions say the nation was founded by Hayk, a descendant of Noah whose Ark grounded on nearby Mt Ararat. The Armenian name for Armenia, “Hayastan” (the “land of Hayk”) reflects this legend. Armenia takes great pride on being the first nation to formally adopt Christianity in the early fourth century around 301 AD. The Armenians were ruled by various empires over the years including the Roman in 64 BC, Byzantine, Arab, Persian, and Ottoman. The first Armenian state was founded in 190 BC. During World War I the western part of Armenia, Ottoman Turkey instituted a policy of forced resettlement along with other bad practices that resulted in approximately 1 million Armenian deaths. This is known as the Armenian Genocide which to this day, is being fought in the Armenian community to be recognized. The Turkish still refuse to acknowledge that nothing was done wrong and the deaths were warranted. Yerevan wants Turkey, and the world, to recognize the deaths as genocide, and some countries have done so. However, Turkey says that there was no genocide and that the dead were victims of World War I, and that ethnic Turks also suffered in the conflict. The governments of the two countries agreed to normalize relations in October 2009, although Turkey has said opening the border will depend on progress on the Nagorno-Karabakh dispute. The eastern part of Armenia was ceded by the Ottomans to Russia in 1828 and later declared independence in 1918 but was conquered in 1920 by the Soviet Red Army. Armenia and Azerbaijan began fighting over the land in 1988, with both countries attaining independence from the Soviet Union
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
on September 21 st , 1991. Turkey closed the border with Armenian in 1994 however in 2009 Armenian leaders started to pursue rapprochement with Turkey. This in hopes will reopen the border. More than 99% of voters supported independence, reflecting national aspirations, as well as massive popular opposition both to the coup attempt in Moscow and to the perceived Soviet bias towards the Azerbaijani position in the Nagorno-Karabakh dispute. The ethnic groups in Armenia include 98% Armenians, and the other 2% are Kurds, Russians, Greeks, and others. 96% of the population speaks Armenian, while the other 4% speak Russian, Greek and others. Over 90% of the population is affiliated with the Armenian Apostolic Church which is the national church of Armenia. Its rich cultural and architectural heritage combines elements from different traditions. The Armenian language is part of the Indo- European family, but its alphabet is unique. Economic/Financial Situation: Armenia is the 2 nd most densely populated of the former Soviet republics. It is a landlocked country between the Black and the Caspian Seas, bordered on the north by Georgia, to the east by Azerbaijan, on the south by Iran, and to the west by Turkey. Up until independence, Armenia's economy
Background image of page 2
Image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 09/02/2011 for the course GSB 603 taught by Professor Benedetto during the Winter '10 term at Nichols.

Page1 / 12

Research Project on Armenia - Adam Ohanesian May 24th, 2011...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online