This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.View Full Document
Unformatted text preview: e1 Chem 241A - Chapter 2 (page 1)
Bond Polarities I Formal Charges l Resonance - Worksheet (Dr. Koerner) These are all examples of "B level" exam questions (6 points each). These are not graded 1) Given the structure (below/[with all of its lone pair electrons already drawn-in: A) place partial charge/ego} and 51th to the two atoms that makeup the most polar bond. \ B) draw (ﬁécharnis’nj‘armWshowing how the most polar bond would dissociate. C) draw the resulting structures in the Answer Box: ,,, _. _
- draw (using dots) and then circle alltnorL-bondingfﬁone pairsgﬁ) electrons. - assign positive & negativeformalchargesnn atoms imBIEE structures in the entire scheme.
A He e1
H 2) Starting with the structure you supplied in the Answer Box (above),
draw 3 different resonance structures in the 3 Answer Boxes below. — drawmechanismarmwﬁ) on each structure showing how the
electrbns move to form the next resonance form. . , _
- draw (using tsyand then circle all non-bonding/(lone pairs ofbelectrons.
- assign all. .otmalchacges? ‘MW'WN"W" Chem 241A - Chapter 2 (page 2)
Bond Polarities I Formal Charges I Resonance - Worksheet (Dr. Koerner) These are all examples of "B level" exam questions (6 points each). These are not graded ’7 7;," / ex ,7
/ ~\ 3) Given the three structures (below). each with arévgrall ago net chargteﬁbthe molecule:
— draw (using dots) and then circle'all'n ndingtggefpa‘irsﬁﬁel‘écﬁ‘ons. - assign positive & negativ formal char es approp ate‘fto'ﬁtl/ atoms in each structure. s.“ Note: the shape of some structures are drawn incorrectly to make this problem more difficult. E]
<9 Q a Q 5&9
H—-(cb—-N=t23 Hzc=N=® g/Oﬁg—
’ ® (nitrous acid) Hint: elements in the 2nd period of the Periodic Table only have 4 orbitals in their valence shell. Mme—N 4) Given the structure (below), with all of its lone pair electrons alread drawn-in: /
A) place partial charges/(ﬁ—anﬁext to the two atoms that makeup the most polar bond. B) dissociate thatbon draw the resulting structures in the upper Answer Box: _ drag/“mechanism arro ) showing how the mgﬁmianbondmould dissociate.
LL4a o - drawTUs‘iﬁ'gﬁot‘sTand thencirelealt - ondi lone pairs of lectrons.
rtTTS m? L structures in the entire scheme. - assign positive & negativgformal char on A Resonance Hybrid raw us‘ﬁﬁ‘dots) and then cir eatlnonsbizpndi Walectrons.
- assign positive 8: negative} ormal chargesﬁn ALL atoms in ALL structures in the entire scheme. Draw thgﬁesonance HybridEEcture in the Answer Box to the right (above): formalwch‘aﬁrgyes. 5) Dra Jheﬁsonencemtgcture in the lower Answer Box (above):
- @echanismaqo showing how the elegonsemeeetouget this resonance structure. ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 09/06/2011 for the course CHEM 241A taught by Professor Olenyuk during the Spring '07 term at Arizona.
- Spring '07