Misty Charnesky-Poverty and Children in the United States

Misty Charnesky-Poverty and Children in the United States -...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–5. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Running head: POVERTY AND CHILDREN IN THE UNITED STATES 1 Poverty and Children in the United States Misty Charnesky SOC-120 May 22, 2011 Pamela Strunk
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
POVERTY AND CHILDREN IN THE UNITED STATES 2 Abstract
Background image of page 2
POVERTY AND CHILDREN IN THE UNITED STATES 3 Poverty and Children in the United States Poverty itself is a continuing issue that seems to increase in intensity all over the United States and even in other countries. In the United States alone, there have been a recorded 41% of low-income children in the United States, approximately 29.9 million, and 19% poor children, approximately 14 million, in the United States. In order for families to meet, their basic needs they need to meet twice the federal poverty level in which many families just cannot do. The federal poverty level standards in the United States are $22,050 for a family of four and $18,310 for a family of three. Going back to families needing twice the federal poverty level to meet their needs a family of four would have to make $44,100, a family of three would have to make $36,620, and a family of two would have to make $29,140. Looking around in my local community a high percentage of our population is considered low-income but the highest percentage is poor. Poverty is rising in the United States; in 2000, there were 37% near poor children compared to 41% near poor children in 2008. This means that the poverty level of this type rose by 4% in eight years. Considering the percentage of poor children in the United States in 2000 was at 16% and rose 3%, making the total of poor children in the Unites States at 19%. A continuing trend of the number of poor children rising even today. It has been proven by statistics that older children have a lower percentage of poverty compared to younger children.
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
POVERTY AND CHILDREN IN THE UNITED STATES 4 Many circumstances affect poverty, from parent education to ethnic background. The numbers of poor or low-income children in the United States are outstanding. Coming from statistics given by the NCCP (National Center for children in Poverty) there is a total of; 56% Whites, 22% Hispanic, 14% Black, 4% Asian, 1% American Indian, and 3% other ethnicity in the poor or low-income poverty bracket. In essence Whites are the biggest ethnic group of low- income children under age 18 with 27% of Whites being poor or low-income. Dealing with ethnicity brings about another factor of poverty in the United States, 60% of children born to immigrant parents, approximately 7.7 million, and 37% of native-born children, approximately 21 million are poor or low-income. Uninsured children in the United States in 2008 were divided into age category starting
Background image of page 4
Image of page 5
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 09/05/2011 for the course ECON 101 taught by Professor Smith during the Spring '11 term at University of Phoenix.

Page1 / 9

Misty Charnesky-Poverty and Children in the United States -...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 5. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online