This preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.
This preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.View Full Document
Unformatted text preview: 6-6-2010 Communication and Tou rism
Ecotourism- emphasizes appreciation for conservation of the environment
E xample: Toxic Tourism in Louisiana (Cancer Alley)
M edical Tourism- t ravelling to other count ries for medical procedures (lower prices)
Cultural/Heritage Tourism- focus on unique cultural aspects of location
Example: local community fiesta (fundraiser for aqua duct)
Benefits of tourism
- Educational - Experience culture - Contributes to economy - Socially responsible tourism
o Bar tering o t rying clothes on o aware of customs E xploitation/objectification
- walk into their houses - touch their things - taking pictures Communication challenges:
Social Norms and expectations
- ex: bargaining Culture Shock
- retreatism - resistance - boundary management - revitalization/adoption Relationship is limi ted, temporary, and commercialized
Emphasize cultural learning as a by- product of tourism
- unique to study abroad program - able to learn culture in ways others are not able to
o speakers o interaction with locals o indigenous encounters Cultu re, Communication, & Conflict
E xamples of different cultures that have different types of conflict styles ...
View Full Document
This note was uploaded on 09/08/2011 for the course SPCM 3820 taught by Professor Tinaharris during the Summer '11 term at University of Georgia Athens.
- Summer '11