04.15.actual - EATING RIGHT THE ETHICS OF FOOD CHOICES AND...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–16. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: EATING RIGHT: THE ETHICS OF FOOD CHOICES AND FOOD POLICY April 15, 2011 Organics & Organic Labeling Plan for Today: • Admin stuff • Organic vs. conventional farming • Organic labeling (and issues about labeling schemes) Admin Stuff: • Reading for Wednesday’s guest lecture posted to Sakai. Admin Stuff: • One last video about the difFculty of resisting your food environment... Micro-Quiz Free points! Just click in with any button. Organic Ideology • A picture of organic farming & organic foods: • Small scale • Healthy • Self-sufFcient farms • Based on whole (not processed) foods • Old-fashioned • Not artiFcial Things people often think of when think of organic, things that are part of the way many organic consumers and practitioners think of organic. Useful to see what the label actually means - doesn’t mean exactly this. Organic Practice: USDA Labeling Requirements • Laws for organic produce: • Grown without synthetic fertilizers or herbicides. • Most synthetic pesticides are not allowed. • No fertilizing with sewage sludge. • No genetically modiFed organisms (GMOs) • No irradiation. Not fully detailed. Can look at USDA. Organic Practice: USDA Labeling Requirements • Laws for organic livestock: • All feed must satisfy organic requirements. • Some access to pasture. (This requirement was just strengthened last year.) • No growth hormones or preventative antibiotics. • Some animal welfare requirements. Organic Practice: USDA Labeling Requirements • Laws for organic processed food: • 95% organic content, remaining 5% must come from approved list. Organic Practice: USDA Labeling Requirements • Organic labeling requirements vary from country to country, but not state to state. • (What we just saw are the USDA requirements for being labeled organic for sale in the US.) Organic Practice: USDA Labeling Requirements • Labeling enforcement: • This was in the news last year. • Ongoing USDA crackdown on lax enforcement. Food Labeling Issues • Why have an organic label? One Reason: The Market for (Organic) Lemons Food Labeling Issues • George Akerlof, 1970 - The Market for “Lemons” Philosophers should set aside their use/mention worries about the title. Didn’t prevent him from sharing a nobel prize for work surrounding and coming out of that paper. Food Labeling Issues • Market failures due to asymmetric information • (one party to the trade has more information than the other) Markets for used cars are like this. Sellers typically know much more about the condition of the car than buyers. Lots of other markets are (potentially) like this, too. Food Labeling Issues...
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 09/15/2011 for the course PHILOSOPHY 252 taught by Professor Egan during the Spring '11 term at Rutgers.

Page1 / 55

04.15.actual - EATING RIGHT THE ETHICS OF FOOD CHOICES AND...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 16. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online