G6 - Topic 6 - Medicare and Baby Boomers

G6 - Topic 6 - Medicare and Baby Boomers -...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–6. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Medicare –Are Baby Boomers parasitic  consumers or are Echoes a whining   workforce? SSPPS 207 Introduction to Health Care Systems and Policy Winter 2011 Sophie Judy Bordson, Ann Hana, Jiah Kim, Katie Medders, Marwa Rifai
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Medicare Federally administered social insurance program Provides health insurance coverage to anyone ≥ 65 years permanently disabled End-stage renal disease Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) Covers up to 80% of any given medical cost Remaining 20% from own pocket or from supplemental private insurance companies Also funds residency training programs for several physicians in the US http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicare_(United_
Background image of page 2
Baby Boomers vs. Echo  Boomers Baby Boomers: Do you see a problem here? ~76 million babies were born 1946-1964 Starting Jan 1, 2011… Every 8 seconds another Baby Boomer turns 65 3.5 to 1 2.3 to 1 workers per beneficiary Echo Boomers: 1980-1995: Children of Baby Boomers Age groups: 15-30
Background image of page 3

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
What’s the main problem?
Background image of page 4
Why do we care?
Background image of page 5

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 6
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

This note was uploaded on 09/14/2011 for the course PHARM 1 taught by Professor Staff during the Spring '11 term at UCSD.

Page1 / 10

G6 - Topic 6 - Medicare and Baby Boomers -...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 6. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online