Chapter_2 notes - Chapter 2 - Chemical Context of Life...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Chapter 2 - Chemical Context of Life Elements a substance that cannot be broken down into other substances by chemical reactions C, O, H, N – 96% of living matter Most of the remaining 4% consists of calcium, phosphorus, potassium, and sulfur Trace elements are those required by an organism in minute quantities Compounds A substance consisting of two or more elements combined in a fixed ratio Has characteristics different from those of its elements Matter Anything that takes up space and has mass Atoms the smallest unit of matter that still retains the properties of an element composed of even smaller parts called subatomic particles Subatomic particles Protons (+) Neutrons (neutral) Electrons (-) surround the nucleus in a “cloud” Properties of Atoms Atomic Number Number of protons (ex. 6 C) Is unique to each element Is the same for all atoms of one element Atomic Mass The approximate mass of the atom Number of protons + neutrons 12 C Isotopes Have the same number of protons Differ in the number of neutrons in the atomic nucleus Behave the same in chemical reactions Ex. 12
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
Image of page 2
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Page1 / 3

Chapter_2 notes - Chapter 2 - Chemical Context of Life...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online