ex-6 - Spring 2011 OR3510/5510 Problem Set 6 Due Monday...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–2. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: Spring 2011 OR3510/5510 Problem Set 6 Due Monday March 14. Reading: We are working on the Poisson process and variants in Chapter 5. (1) One hundred items are simultaneously put on a life test. Suppose the life times of the individual items are independent exponential random variables with mean 200 hours. The test will end when there have been a total of 5 failures. If T is the time at which the test ends, nd E ( T ) and Var( T ) . (2) Traffic on Snyder Hill Road follows a Poisson process with rate 2/3s of a vehicle per minute. 10% of the vehicles are trucks and the other 90% are cars. (a) What is the probability at least one truck passes in an hour? (b) Given that 10 trucks have passed by in an hour, what is the expected number of vehicles that have passed by? (c) Given 50 vehicles have passed by in an hour, what is the probability there were exactly 5 trucks and 45 cars. (3) Customers arrive at a two-server service station according to a Poisson process with rate ....
View Full Document

This note was uploaded on 09/17/2011 for the course ORIE 3510 taught by Professor Resnik during the Spring '09 term at Cornell University (Engineering School).

Page1 / 2

ex-6 - Spring 2011 OR3510/5510 Problem Set 6 Due Monday...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 2. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online