hw11 - i.e. discuss what mechanism in eukaryotic cells can...

Info iconThis preview shows pages 1–3. Sign up to view the full content.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
BIO 5099 Homework Assignment #11 Name _____________________________________ Due start of class, Thursday November 7 th . Late assignments are not accepted; show your work for partial credit. Assignments may be e-mailed to: christiaan@xiaan.com or rbaror@dmibio.com anytime, or faxed to (303) 556-2889 between 3:00 and 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday. Define in your own words and give an example: 1. (2pts) PolyA tail 2. (2pts) Basal transcription factor 3. (2pts) Alternative splicing 4. (2pts) Spliceosome 5. (2pts) Untranslated regions (UTRs) 6. (2pts) Enhancer (gene expression)
Background image of page 1

Info iconThis preview has intentionally blurred sections. Sign up to view the full version.

View Full DocumentRight Arrow Icon
7. (12 pts) Going from a single gene on a strand of DNA to a mature, active protein, list and briefly describe at least six distinct points of control that eukaryotic cells employ to regulate the level of an active protein.
Background image of page 2
8. (6pts) The current consensus is that there are approximately 35,000 human genes and over 100,000 human proteins (still hotly contested!). a) How do we resolve this apparent contradiction?
Background image of page 3
This is the end of the preview. Sign up to access the rest of the document.

Unformatted text preview: i.e. discuss what mechanism in eukaryotic cells can account for this discrepancy. b) It is believed that there are on the order of a thousand transcription factors, with so few transcription factors how can we independently control each gene? 9. (6pts) It was recently discovered that 75% of predicted human proteins have a homolog in the genome of Fugu rubripes , a pufferfish. What kinds of proteins might these genes code for? What kinds of proteins might the other 25% code for? see http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/gca?gca=1072104 & http://www.fugu-sg.org for additional information (Note: you may need to be connected to the school system to access the article) 10. (4pts) Genetic variation between members of the same species is usually quite small in terms of differences in base pairs and extremely small in terms of gene location within the DNA strands. Identify a possible selection pressure that would fix gene location....
View Full Document

Page1 / 3

hw11 - i.e. discuss what mechanism in eukaryotic cells can...

This preview shows document pages 1 - 3. Sign up to view the full document.

View Full Document Right Arrow Icon
Ask a homework question - tutors are online