MAE 2360 Syllabus.docx - MAE 2360-005\/006 Numerical Analysis and Programming Spring 2020 Instructor Information Instructor(s Franck Tchafa PhD Office

MAE 2360 Syllabus.docx - MAE 2360-005/006 Numerical...

This preview shows page 1 - 3 out of 4 pages.

MAE 2360-005/006: Numerical Analysis and Programming Spring 2020 Instructor Information Instructor(s): Franck Tchafa, PhD Office Number: WH323G Email Address: [email protected] Office Hours: MW 9:00 am to 10:00 am or by appointment TA information: TBD Course Information Time and Place of Class Meetings: Lecture (005): NH 111 Monday/Wednesday 8:00 – 8:50 am Lab (006): WH 406 Tuesday 2:00-4:50 pm Description of Course Content: Utilization of digital computers in mechanical and aerospace engineering. Computational algorithms and their representation in C, and MATLAB. Introduction to linear algebra and numerical methods. Prerequisite: C or better in MATH 2425 (or HONR-SC 2425) (or concurrent enrollment). Student Learning Outcomes: This course is intended to help students develop basic programming skills and apply them in numerical analysis Required Textbooks and Other Course Materials: Seiichi Nomura, “C Programming and Numerical Analysis: An Introduction”, ISBN: 9781681733111, Morgan & Claypool, March 2018. Descriptions of major assignments and examinations: Homework problems are posted on the Web (CANVAS). Exams are closed book/note. Grading Information Attendance/Grading: 1. Class attendance is not required but strongly encouraged. 2. Homework will be posted on CANVAS and is due before the beginning of class via CANVAS (do not submit hard copy in class, it will not be accepted). Submission file should be in PDF format and include copy of code and example run result. 3. Late HW/LAB will be penalized 15% per day up to 3 days and will not be accepted thereafter. 4. All exams will be closed book, closed notes. 5. This course requires that students pass designated assignment(s) in order to pass the course – referred to as “key assignments”. Some homework assignments will be designated as key 1
Image of page 1
assignments. Students must submit and pass all key assignments in order to pass the course. If any key assignment is not submitted and passed, the student will not pass the course even if he/she scores perfectly on all exams and other assignments. Grading Policy: Exams account for 70% of the total grade as shown. Homeworks/ Labs account for the remaining 30% as shown below. Letter grade is assigned using the following metric: - Homework 10% A : 90% and above - Lab 20% B : 80% - 89% - 2 Exams 40% C : 70% - 79% - Final Exam 30% D : 60% - 69% Total: 100% F : Below 60% Make-up Exams: Makeup exams will be given only for reasons that are out of the student’s control. The students must contact the instructor sufficiently in advance of an exam or have concrete proof that they could not do so.
Image of page 2
Image of page 3

You've reached the end of your free preview.

Want to read all 4 pages?

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

  • Left Quote Icon

    Student Picture

Stuck? We have tutors online 24/7 who can help you get unstuck.
A+ icon
Ask Expert Tutors You can ask You can ask You can ask (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes