Pathophysiology Module 1-4.pdf - 1.1 Introduction to Pathophysiology Pathophysiology Correll negative for that disease This is called a true-negative

Pathophysiology Module 1-4.pdf - 1.1 Introduction to...

This preview shows page 1 out of 1 page.

6/9/2020 1.1: Introduction to Pathophysiology: Pathophysiology- Correll 4/7 negative for that disease. This is called a true-negative result. Specificity can only be calculated from people without the disease. A test that is 95% specific correctly identifies 95 of 100 normal people. The other 5% are false positive results—results that incorrectly appear as positive when in reality are truly negative. As such, a false positive test can put unnecessary stress on a person. Conversely, a false negative test can delay diagnosis and treatment. Figure 1.1 shows the relationship between a diagnostic test result and the occurrence of disease. Figure 1.1 Testing parameters. There are two possibilities for the test result to be correct (true positive and true negative) and two possibilities for the result to be incorrect (false positive and false negative).
Image of page 1

You've reached the end of your free preview.

Want to read the whole page?

  • Spring '17
  • Don
  • 5%, Type I and type II errors

What students are saying

  • Left Quote Icon

    As a current student on this bumpy collegiate pathway, I stumbled upon Course Hero, where I can find study resources for nearly all my courses, get online help from tutors 24/7, and even share my old projects, papers, and lecture notes with other students.

    Student Picture

    Kiran Temple University Fox School of Business ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    I cannot even describe how much Course Hero helped me this summer. It’s truly become something I can always rely on and help me. In the end, I was not only able to survive summer classes, but I was able to thrive thanks to Course Hero.

    Student Picture

    Dana University of Pennsylvania ‘17, Course Hero Intern

  • Left Quote Icon

    The ability to access any university’s resources through Course Hero proved invaluable in my case. I was behind on Tulane coursework and actually used UCLA’s materials to help me move forward and get everything together on time.

    Student Picture

    Jill Tulane University ‘16, Course Hero Intern

Stuck? We have tutors online 24/7 who can help you get unstuck.
A+ icon
Ask Expert Tutors You can ask You can ask You can ask (will expire )
Answers in as fast as 15 minutes